‘We’re in negotiations, aiming for July’: Conor McGregor reveals he is in talks over his next UFC fight with possible opponents including Nate Diaz
- Conor McGregor has confirmed he is in negotiations with UFC for a July fight
- The Irishman has not fought since October’s defeat by Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone are both possible opponents for McGregor
- He is still serving a six-month ban but is clear to fight from early April onwards
The Irishman has not fought since being humbled by Khabib Nurmagomedov in their lightweight title showdown last October.
McGregor has openly courted fights with Donald Cerrone and Nate Diaz in recent weeks and has confirmed he expects to have a fight booked in for this summer.
Conor McGregor has confirmed he is in early stages of talks to return to the UFC octagon
McGregor’s publicly courted fights with Nate Diaz (L) and Donald Cerrone (R) in recent weeks
Speaking to an ABC News affiliate for Chicago’s St. Patrick’s day parade, McGregor said: ‘Yes, we’re currently in negotiations, we’re aiming for July, we’ll see what happens.
‘I am staying ready. This morning I was doing incline sprints on the treadmill on my program, the McGregorFast program, today in a hotel room.
‘So we’re staying on it, getting work in as we go.’
McGregor is still currently serving the six-month ban he was given for the infamous brawl which took place in the immediate aftermath of his fourth-round stoppage defeat against Nurmagomedov at UFC 229.
The suspension was backdated to the night of the fight and October 6 so he will be permitted to fight again from early April onwards.
Life outside his UFC career took a turn for the worst earlier this month when McGregor arrested after being accused of stamping on the phone of a fan on Miami Beach.
McGregor hasn’t fought since losing lightweight title fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov
Khabib dominated his Irish challenger to retain the lightweight title last October
According to local 10 news, citing the arrest report, McGregor and the fan were leaving the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel, home to the LIV nightclub, just after 5am on Monday, March 11.
An altercation is believed to have taken place when the individual in question attempted to take a photograph with the UFC star. The 30-year-old now faces charges of misdemeanor criminal mischief and strong-armed robbery.
The arrest report goes on to add further detail that McGregor ‘slapped the phone out of the man’s hand and then stomped on the phone several times.’ He is then said to have picked up and walked away with the phone, the report adds.
The victim, a 22-year-old from Slough, said the phone was worth around $1,000 (£755).
McGregor was arrested earlier this month after being accused of smashing up a fan’s phone
Police are reported to have spent the day investigating the incident before arresting McGregor on Monday (March 11) evening at a home in Miami Beach. The Dubliner was then booked into Miami-Dade jail.
It was reported that McGregor is currently being held on a $12,500 (£9,500) bond at Miami-Dade County’s Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center.
McGregor had recently completed his community service for his part in an attack on a bus full of UFC fighters last April.
McGregor had been ordered to do ‘manual labour’ including ‘upkeep at the Brooklyn houses of worship’ according to his lawyer Bruce Maffeo.
The Irishman has been training hard and expects to be fighting in July time this year
Have something to say? Leave a comment: